The goal for Jam Cruise Greening is simple: Become the cruise industry model of a full charter effectively lowering its environmental impact. Though this 10-year experiment we've improved on-ship waste management operations, partnered with progressive hauling companies in South Florida, aligned with compost facilities, sourcing sustainable products, and have brought renewable energy to our Ship. In addition, we challenge our passengers to become more Conscious Cruisers. Each year we introduce new and improved ways of Greening Jam Cruise, more to come throughout the year on the latest innovative programs.
Experts On board
During JC 11 we invited an international authority on cruise industry environmental programs to look at JC Greening as well as boogie down to some music. His conclusion:
“I should express first my being impressed by the initiatives already undertaken and accomplished on Jam Cruise. It is impressive to see the success Greening Jam Cruise have had in impacting the practice of the cruise line (especially as regards reducing/eliminating use of plastic and styrofoam, a focus on recycling, and demonstration of use of wind power). I believe you have established a role model for others wishing to “green” cruise ships they charter for events or activities.”
- Ross A. Klein, PhD is an internationally recognized authority on the cruise ship industry, commissioned to write four reports for the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, two reports for Bluewater Network/Friends of the Earth, and has more than a dozen articles and book chapters.
The goal of the Jam Cruise Greening waste management plan is to educate passengers and eliminate waste delivered to the Broward County Landfill. Remember, put waste in its place! Pre-sorting of waste streams will assist MSC staff in sorting and ensure clean waste streams are delivered to the recycling center in the Miami area.
In addition to recycling amber glass bottles, plastic bottles, cardboard, wood and aluminum cans, Jam Cruise 12 will offload compostable cup and will then be hauled to the Okeechobee Organics Recycling Facility.
Conscious Cruiser Program
So you're an ethical cruiser, aka. a Conscious Cruiser on Jam Cruise with the desire to lower your environmental impact and support the local communities we visit on our journey. Read on my friends. Not only is it as simple as following the few steps listed below, but we have an entire Conscious Cruiser headquarters on board to answer your questions. There's no reason to leave your tree hugging self behind when you're on Jam Cruise. We encourage you to embrace it!
How to be a Conscious Cruiser?
- Volunteer – Positive Legacy & Greening need your help, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minimize the amount of single-use items you pack and remember your water bottle
- Offset your carbon emissions from your personal travel to/from Miami
- Put waste in its place – use the Cloud 9 resource recovery stations and cigarette butt receptacles
- Attend the Jam for Change panel discussion
- Stop by Positive Legacy and Greening HQ learn more about our programs and excursions
- Donate an item for the Positive Legacy charity auction
- Bid on an item in the Positive Legacy charity auction
- Reuse your towels and linens to decrease graywater waste
- Attend the Positive Legacy and Greening Celebration
The Magic Hat Wind Stage
What gets us moving is the chance to demonstrate good ideas, and we think that the cruise industry hasn't fully realized the potential of renewable energy. Our wind system hooks into our 2nd pool stage, sponsored by Magic Hat to help produce the sounds as we take in the sun.